The history of Milwaukee Catholic Home begins over a century ago with a group of visionary women from the Marquette Women’s League. Led by founder Anna Marie Hackett, this group saw the need for a new residential community for older adults in Milwaukee, and incorporated the new Catholic Home for the Aged on June 28th, 1913.
Milwaukee Catholic Home’s original building on Astor Street was donated by Anna Cudahy, a local philanthropist and wife of Milwaukee meat-packing mogul Patrick Cudahy. The community opened its doors to its first group of fifteen residents on October 1, 1915.
The Catholic Home continued to grow, and in 1926, it moved into a larger home on East
Over the next several decades, MCH developed a reputation for providing excellent, compassionate care and authentic community for older adults.
The 1970s were a period of significant growth for Milwaukee Catholic Home. The current building at 2462 North Prospect Avenue was built from the ground up to house 140 independent living apartments and a 56-bed skilled nursing facility.
In 1996, after a successful capital campaign, MCH grew even further, expanding its health care and rehabilitation services with the building of a designated Health and Rehabilitation Center at 2330 N Prospect Avenue.
In 2013, following an extensive renovation project, Milwaukee Catholic Home celebrated its
100 Year Anniversary. Mayor Tom Barrett recognized June 28th as Milwaukee Catholic Home day in the city of Milwaukee.
Today, Milwaukee Catholic Home offers a full continuum of care for older adults, including independent living, assisted living, skilled nursing, memory care, and rehabilitation services, as well as many active partnerships with parishes, schools, and community organizations.
In 2015, MCH entered into a partnership with the Franciscan Friars of the Assumption BVM Province. MCH now manages Francis Meadows, a 50 unit independent living apartment building owned by the Friars.
The Franciscan Friars also offered the use of their property in Burlington, WI for the launch of Clare Gardens, Milwaukee Catholic Home’s 5 acre community garden and farm to table program. The goal of this project is to bring fresh, local produce to MCH residents and to create a place of experiential engagement both for residents and the broader community.
As the Milwaukee Catholic Home family, we take pride in the organization’s 100 years of experience and its place in Milwaukee history.